VENUS PLUTO ASPECT – OVERVIEW
In astrology Pluto symbolizes depth, transformation and empowerment. Pluto’s location in your natal chart can represent an entrance into the unconscious, where repressed psychic materials (the Jungian shadow) are stored.
Venus represents relationships and aesthetic needs. Its placement in your horoscope suggests how you need to relate to others in order to be socially effective.
An aspect between Venus and Pluto (especially conjunction, square or opposition) brings these two archetypes together. If you have a natal Venus Pluto aspect, or you’re experiencing a Pluto Venus transit, your relationship may unearth powerful emotions that have been buried inside you for a long, long time.
In what possible ways can Venus Pluto aspect manifest, and what are some constructive ways to utilize it?
Venus Conjunct Square Opposition Pluto – Possible Manifestations
EXTREME EMOTIONS IN RELATIONSHIPS
Pluto empowers what it touches to an extreme degree. In the case of a hard aspect between Pluto and Venus (conjunction, square or opposition), this may boost your emotional expression – as well as emotional needs – exponentially within close relationships.
This could manifest as the need to share profound depth of emotions with your partner – including your love, faith, passion or outrage. Your partner needs to have sufficient depth in order to be able to appreciate and respond to your intense feelings.
Pluto Venus aspect suggests a capacity to love and connect on a deep level. It also suggests a potential for experiencing great deal of hurt because of loving so deeply. This interconnection between great love and pain is probably at the heart of the Venus-Pluto experience, and can fuel profound personal transformation. A poet said this better:
For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning. – Khalil Gibran
There are, however, other expressions of Venus Pluto aspect that are not as emotionally oriented.
CONTROL AND POWER NEEDS IN RELATIONSHIPS
In a professional arena, Pluto can manifest as power, influence and even prominence. Dynamic Venus Pluto aspects (conjunction / square / opposition) can suggest a potential to form powerful connections that bolster your social status. For some, Pluto Venus aspect literally suggests a position of power and influence within their organization.
Here are some examples of well known people with a natal Venus Pluto aspect:
- Gangster Al Capone had natal Venus opposite Pluto. Mahatma Gandhi also had Venus Pluto opposition – these are 2 influential people who dealt with control and violence (Pluto) very differently.
- Hillary Clinton, one of the most powerful politicians today, has Venus square Pluto. Interestingly, her daughter Chelsea Clinton has Venus opposite Pluto. Power and influence? You bet.
- Cult leader Jim Jones had natal Venus square Pluto – he exerted a powerful influence upon his followers, to the point they willingly ended their own lives.
- Legendary reporter Mike Wallace had Venus square Pluto – he interviewed many of the most influential figures in the western world, sometimes causing a great deal of upset by confronting corruption or dishonesty head-on.
As the above examples suggest, the combination of Venus and Pluto may indicate relating (Venus) with powerful (Pluto) people, wielding power and control (Pluto) within relationships (Venus), or dealing with the misuse of power (Pluto’s shadow) in relationships and social settings (Venus).
The people listed above dealt with power and influence in a very public way. In a private domain, a Pluto Venus aspect offers opportunities to attain empowerment within relationships.
NEED FOR EMOTIONAL HONESTY AND COURAGE IN INTIMACY
Since Pluto rules all of the scary emotions associated with early emotional trauma, intimate relationships for a Venus-Pluto person (or relationships during transit Pluto conjunct, square or opposition Venus) always carry a threat (and opportunity) of revealing your worst memories of fear, shame and helplessness.
The initial response for a Venus Pluto person might be to avoid feeling uncomfortable emotions by refusing to acknowledge the existence of psychic wounds, perhaps projecting them onto their partner (as in “Why do I always attract partners with so many emotional issues?”).
A wiser, more courageous response is to embrace your painful feelings as they come up, trusting in your ability to choose the right partner to go through these kinds of healing crises with. When you’re able to share what you’re feeling honestly without blaming yourself or your partner, you’re expressing the positive potential of the Venus-Pluto aspect.
HEALING AND TRANSFORMATIONAL POTENTIAL IN RELATIONSHIPS
Whether you have a natal or transit Pluto-Venus contact, the Plutonian process of healing and transformation within relationships may awaken intense fears, compulsion or rage. If you’re indeed experiencing such healing crisis, there are several steps you can take that might make your journey a little easier:
- Recognize the existence of psychological trauma in your life. In a child’s psyche, the standard response to trauma is repression – the mind isn’t equipped to handle the pain, so it puts a lid on the emotion until you’re strong enough to deal with it (i.e. adulthood.)
- Recognize that the intense emotion you’re feeling now probably has nothing to do with your present circumstance. It’s far more likely that your current relationship triggered the buried emotions of fear, anger or abandonment that you’ve felt a long time ago.
- Recognize that the emotions are coming up now for a reason: You’re strong enough to feel them now. If you have the courage to fully embrace the painful emotions and integrate them into your being, you’ll experience profound healing and transformation.
This is the domain of shadow work, of integrating the emotional energies that have been lost to repression. The end result is that you become more whole, and have more energy since you stopped spending so much of it on pressing down emotions.
Do you have a natal Venus Pluto aspect? Are you experiencing transit Pluto Venus aspect? How have you experienced the combination of Pluto (depth, power and transformation) and Venus (relationship)? Feel free to share your experiences and insights in the comment section.