SUN NEPTUNE ASPECT ARCHETYPE
In astrology, Sun symbolizes your life direction – its placement suggests which way your journey toward self-actualization is likely to take you.
Neptune opens your awareness to creative vision and social/spiritual ideals. A strong Neptune in a horoscope often suggests an ability to “see” goals or solutions with vivid clarity – it’s a bit like having a second sight.
If Sun and Neptune form an aspect in your chart, your self-expression and life goals must include creativity and vision for you to find fulfillment. However, this is not to say it’ll happen naturally – like any solar journey, there will be challenges and pitfalls along the way before you reach your potential.
NATAL SUN CONJUNCT SQUARE OPPOSITE NEPTUNE
INCREASED SENSITIVITY: A GIFT AND A CHALLENGE
Having a natal Sun Neptune aspect (especially conjunction, square or opposition) usually suggests heightened awareness and sensitivity. Increased sensitivity causes greater awareness of pain (your own, or the world’s). The cliché about Neptunians being susceptible to drinking or other addictions is due to their tendency to want to numb the pain they feel inside, to decrease their sensitivity to the harshness of life.
Even though being “too sensitive” tends to be regarded as a handicap, for a Sun-Neptune person it’s an essential gift that allows them to realize their potential.
If you have Sun conjunct, square or opposite Neptune, your sensitivity might allow you to:
- Be more open and aware of creative inspiration – whether it’s music, science or business, you have an almost supernatural intuition that allows you to be receptive to great ideas, which you can bring into reality.
- Be more compassionate – being keenly aware of pain means you’re more likely to experience others’ suffering as your own. This may motivate you to come up with creative plans to help those in need.
- Be a visionary – You see possibilities that aren’t limited by reality. Bringing “what can be” into the realm of “what is” might be a big part of your life purpose.
WELL KNOWN EXAMPLES OF SUN NEPTUNE ASPECT
Consider the following famous examples of people with Sun Neptune aspect:
- Clara Barton, the founder of American Red Cross, had Sun conjunct Neptune. Throughout her life, she showed remarkable ability to realize her humanitarian vision through organizing and leading groups of people (Sun-Neptune in Capricorn – administrative efficiency in realizing her visions).
- Legendary investor Warren Buffett has Sun conjunct Neptune. He is famous for his seemingly superhuman discernment (Sun-Neptune in Virgo) in investing, as well as his pledge to donate 99% of his wealth to philanthropic causes.
- Joseph Campbell, celebrated for his research on world mythology, had Sun square Neptune.
- Carl Jung, famous for his exploration into dreams and archetypes, also had Sun square Neptune. Both Campbell and Jung made it their life’s work (the solar journey) to explore the realm of Neptune (which rules dreams, myths and collective consciousness).
- Politician and environmentalist Al Gore has Sun opposite Neptune, and so does Mikhail Gorbachev – they both worked for the realization of their social/political ideals.
- Actress and humanitarian Angelina Jolie has Sun opposite Neptune. Note that Neptune symbolizes both films and social ideals.
- Pope Francis has Neptune square Sun, and so does evangelist Billy Graham. In their cases Neptune-Sun aspect is expressed as spiritual inspiration.
- Inventor Alfred Nobel had Sun square Neptune, and Thomas Edison had Sun conjunct Neptune: As innovators, they were able to give forms to their creative visions.
- Wolfgang Mozart had Sun opposite Neptune. Many musicians have similar aspects between Sun and Neptune.
Note how these people had distinctly Neptunian life pursuits. Expressions of creativity, inspiration and ideals guided their life direction.
TRANSIT NEPTUNE CONJUNCT SQUARE OPPOSITE SUN
A TIME OF INSPIRATION AND VULNERABILITY
During Neptune transit to the Sun (especially during hard aspect transit), your sensitivity is heightened, and your defenses tend to come down, making you more receptive and vulnerable at the same time.
If you’re not used to Neptunian energies (i.e. Neptune is not emphasized in your natal chart), your ego might judge this increased sensitivity as weakness. Then you could try to avoid feeling “weak” by drowning yourself in work, or engage in addictive behaviors to escape the inner confusion.
A wiser approach might be to allow the vulnerability to exist, and let it form a bridge that connects your heart to others, either through compassion or sharing of your honest emotions. Most of all, it is a time to learn to have compassion for yourself.
MOVING FROM IDEAS INTO CREATIVE EXPRESSION
Neptune Sun transit is a visionary period – you might be inundated with ideas and visions for your creative work. The challenge is to bring those ideas into the realm of concrete reality, so that it does not end as mere daydreams.
If you’re already in a creative field, then transit Neptune conjunct, square or opposite Sun could be one of the most productive and/or inspired periods in your career. If you have trouble giving form to your ideas, you might want to consider getting help from someone that can give you structure, like a coach or a support group that makes you accountable (a grounding, Saturnian influence).
IN CLOSING: GIFTS AND CHALLENGE OF SUN NEPTUNE ASPECT
Neptune Sun aspect has amazing potential, but it requires you to bring down your walls. Any attempt to maintain your ego’s defenses tend to manifest in less inspiring expressions of Neptune (confusion, bewilderment, escapism and aloneness).
Bringing down walls means you tend to be more vulnerable in a psychic sense – many Neptunian people report picking up other people’s feelings, and having difficulty establishing boundaries.
Many of these symptoms will lessen as you learn to be grounded through focusing on concrete goals and meeting daily responsibilities (i.e. the balancing influence of Saturn.) Solid structures in the form of work and responsibility are not boring or mundane – they are essential for building your psychic foundation, so that you can be a solid vessel for receiving – and realizing – the creative vision of Neptune.
Do you have a natal Sun Neptune aspect, or are you experiencing a Neptune transit to your Sun? How have you experienced it – inspiration or confusion? Feel free to share your insight and experience in the comment section.