In response to the last post, someone asked what I would suggest if people are stuck too far in the 12th house. First let’s consider the possible reasons why you would get stuck there:
1) You don’t like your 1st house – which is to say, you don’t like the image you have of yourself. Otherwise why would you try to escape it?
2) You got hooked on the 12th house experience (it’s exhilarating to get out of yourself and your little problems, after all) so you decided to drop everything else and try to get more and more of it – perhaps becoming out of balance as a result.
3) You’re confined against your will in an oppressive circumstance where no individual expression is allowed. Your individuality is not appreciated; no, it’s actively discouraged.
4) Nobody is confining you like #3, but you have a memory of such confinement from the past, and you choose to stay in the same pattern through putting yourself down.
And here are some thoughts that may help to strengthen your 1st House (thus making it more habitable):
- Restore the self image – because most likely it is distorted. Try the Louise Hay exercise: look in the mirror and say to your self, “I love you, (your name); I really, really love you.” You may have no idea how difficult this is for many people. Do it until you can feel the love in your eyes. Visit her site and download her DVD for $5. It’s worth it.
- Think about your name (the focus of your identity) – see what images, emotions and descriptions come up when you say your name. Work to change it until you are proud of your name. How do your loved ones speak your name? When someone loves you, your name is safe in their mouths. Is your name safe in your mouth?
- Love your body (another focus of your identity) – this means taking good care of it through good nutrition, exercise and rest. It helps you to rejoin the earth when you feel good in your own body. Don’t ever judge your body, comparing it to someone else’s.
- Know what you’re good at. Everyone comes into this world with certain vocational gifts. If you’re utilizing it, you will not feel uncomfortable in the 1st House.
- Know your unique needs and desires. Learn to take a stand for yourself, so that you can fulfill some or most of these needs.
These are all 1st House issues, and in a consultation I try to fortify the self image of the client as much as possible through making them aware of their personal resources. Even though 12th House is a necessary part of the holistic consciousness, you can’t live with passion until your 1st house self image is sufficiently healed. And if you don’t have passion – what’s the point?