The Meaning of Fifth House in Astrology
Noel Tyl phrased the 5th-11th house axis as “love given & received from others”. In this article we’ll look at just the 5th house, which represents how easily you express love to your children, partner, family and friends.
Planets in or Ruling the 5th House: Your Natural Style of Giving Love
Planets in the 5th house (or ruling the sign on the cusp of the fifth house) can reveal your natural style of giving love to others.
- Sun in the 5th house, or Leo on the 5th house cusp: Giving love through showing positive leadership & modeling good behaviors; expressing your authentic & best self which inspires and motivates others; sharing your humor and creativity.
- Moon in the 5th house, or Cancer on the 5th house cusp: Giving love through maternal, nurturing behaviors. Cooking for people; sharing one’s home; sharing your own emotions and vulnerability. Listening to others’ feelings.
- Mercury in the 5th house, or Gemini/Virgo on the 5th house cusp: Giving love through communicating and sharing of knowledge; through being insightful, witty, helpful.
- Venus in the 5th house, or Taurus/Libra on the 5th house cusp: Giving love through sharing of aesthetic, sensual, or relaxing experience; appreciating others.
- Mars in the 5th house, or Aries on the 5th house cusp: Giving love passionately and assertively, through sharing athletic or energetic activities; protecting or standing up for others.
- Jupiter in the 5th house, or Sagittarius on the 5th house cusp: Giving love generously and enthusiastically; through teaching & sharing of opinions; sharing optimistic and/or spiritual vision.
- Saturn in the 5th house, or Capricorn on the 5th house cusp: Giving love through being practically helpful (note the connection to Virgo Ascendant, which often accompanies Capricorn on the 5th); strategically, with awareness of long term goals; giving “tough love” to help others grow and mature.
- Uranus in the 5th, or Aquarius on the 5th house cusp: Giving love through friendship; expressing your unique passion and interests; being kind and helpful to others; sharing ideas & experience with group of people.
- Neptune in the 5th, or Pisces on the 5th house cusp: Giving love through expressions of aesthetics, idealism, spirituality, and healing. There is also a possibility of losing the self through love, which may lead to codependency.
- Pluto in the 5th, or Scorpio on the 5th house cusp: Giving love with deep passion and emotional honesty. Through sharing transformative experiences together. In some cases the desire to control others may manifest as manipulative tendencies.
Tension in the Natal 5th House: What Prevents Us From Giving Love?
4th house is the derivative 12th house (undoing) of the 5th house: Thus, difficult or traumatic experience in the childhood home (4th house) may make it challenging for us to trust others enough to express our love fully.
Tension to the Fifth house ruler or planets occupying the 5th house could suggest anxiety or inhibition about expressing love, especially if it involves Saturn, Neptune or Pluto.
In my horoscope, Moon rules the 5th house, and is conjoined by Neptune. Cancer on the 5th house cusp suggests that it’s helpful for me to express love in a warm, nurturing manner. However, the Neptune-Moon conjunction (along with the Pisces Ascendant) also suggests a lot of sensitivity and introversion, which makes me feel quite shy about expressing my emotions.
Although my natural inclination was to stay quiet and withdrawn, I’ve learned over the years that people tend to appreciate it if I stepped out of my comfort zone and actually expressed how I felt and cared for them – so it’s an ongoing lesson in courage.
Summary: Fifth House and How You Express Love to Others
Fifth house symbolizes the instinctive human act of giving & expressing love to others. Before looking at your 5th house measurements, it may be helpful to take a moment to ask yourself “How do I tend express my love to others? Is there a way in which I can express love more fully to the people I care about the most? Why do I hold myself back from doing so?”
Once you’ve answered these questions, see how (and if) your 5th house measurements reflect your reality. Astrology is most helpful if you can link it to your own unique life experience. Feel free to share through emails or comments…