One key meaning of Venus is our socialization need: how we need to relate to others in order to be effective; what we need in a relationship in order to be satisfied.
Noel Tyl has a steller article about Venus through the signs, as well as Venus retrograde phenomenon (key points summarized below):
- Venus in Gemini, Virgo (i.e. Mercury ruled signs) can often talk about the emotions better than feel them. Cerebral processes could take over the relationship unless sufficient emotional depth is reached within oneself.
- Venus in Fire signs (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius) – especially Aries, there may be a flirtatiousness to “test one’s effectiveness,” for self confirmation of attractiveness. Adoration, acknowledgment, respect are all very important.
- Venus in Capricorn seems to suggest a delay in the maturation of emotional expression in relationships. Expression somehow becomes challenging – perhaps as a result of past hurt.
- Venus in Aquarius may suggest the love for the world, and the need to care for others (humanitarian.)
- Venus in Cancer can relate through sharing emotions (“let me cry on your shoulder and we can relate.”)
- Venus retrograde suggests a peculiar difficulty in relating to others – perhaps some form of indirectness, lack of clarity, or challenge in reaching one’s own emotional center.
Other thoughts regarding Venus in signs:
In Earth signs (Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn) pragmatic concerns may enter the socialization need – how responsible will the other person be, etc. Relationship may often take place in the performing of practical tasks or everyday chores. This is in contrast to Venus in Fire signs, who may want more magic and pizzaz.
In Air signs (Gemini, Libra, Aquarius) socialization happens on the intellectual level rather than on an emotional level. This usually gives good objectivity while relating, which leads to superior social skills. If there are too much Air and too little Water in the chart, emotional depth may be very difficult to reach. In contrast, for Venus in Water signs (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces) relationship needs the sharing of emotions, whether passionate (Scorpio), or sensitive (Pisces).