In the awesome Man’s Search for Meaning, Viktor Frankl lists three ways people find meaning in their lives:
- Actively, through creative work
- Passively, through enjoyment in experiencing beauty, art, or nature
- The attitude toward one’s own existence, when existence is restricted by external forces.
Several thoughts come from this, but here we focus on the 1st and the 2nd point:
- In 20th century, great deal of progress came from businesses that supplied the passive form of enjoyment, through television, music player, movies, etc.
- In 21st century, now we’re seeing the massive increase of interest in the active form of enjoyment through creative self expression. Today’s successful businesses and web sites are the ones that help people find meaning through creative work and self expression: Apple computer focuses on the creative aspect of computing life; iPod is not just a music player but a fashion statement; YouTube allows everyone to be their own TV station; Facebook, MySpace, Flickr and many other sites allow ordinary people to have access to millions of audiences through creative self expression.
The increase in the standard of living means we are now fortunate enough to be able to seek out such forms of creative expression which may have nothing to do with making a living. The hunger for meaning is enormous, and this is the cutting edge of service industry – to help people find meaning and passion through self expression.
Astrologically this seems to suggest that people today are finding increased possibility of expressing their independent, unique and creative imagination and perspective, symbolized by Uranus (individual expression that doesn’t depend on traditional work environment), Neptune (creative imagination), and perhaps even Pluto (empowerment through passion and purpose; possibility of public prominence).
I believe this is going to start to change how people will respond to transits and Solar Arcs from these outer planets (i.e. Uranus, Neptune and Pluto.) Now Neptune no longer just benefits professional artists, but anybody with passionate artistic projects. Uranus may imply a flowering of a new means of self expression previously not thought of (today the environment is more conducive to finding such means of expression.) Pluto also may suggest the possibility of “prominence” achieved through the connectivity of the Web 2.0.
Are traditional interpretations of transits and solar arcs going to be obsolete? Not anytime soon. But there are new possibilities added to such expressions as times change. For example, only 100 years ago, divorce wasn’t such a viable option for majority of people. Now, it’s quite commonplace. Astrology had to reflect that change, to include divorce into the possible manifestation.
Now we must do the same in this age of creative self expression when considering outer planet manifestations.