The Discipline of Balance
We know that Libra the Scale represents the ideal of balance and equilibrium. Despite these peaceful sounding words, anyone who tried to balance a scale knows that it takes an effort to manage the state of equipoise, and how fragile that state is.
In other words, being in balance isn’t a static state that involves no conscious effort on your part. If we are passive and unaware, the scale starts to tip in one direction or the other all too easily, leaving our lives out of balance.
Is Your Life In Balance? Mercury Retrograde Review
Since it’s Mercury retrograde, it’s a good time to reassess and review our lives. I invite you to reexamine each of the following life areas to see whether you are in or out of balance:
- Work: Do you work too much or too little? Do you spend time working on what matters, or are too busy spending time in nonproductive areas of your work?
- Exercise: Do you exercise your body too much or too little?
- Diet: Do you eat too much or too little? Do you take care to eat nourishing, nutritious food or find yourself eating comfort food and drive-throughs?
- Water: Do you drink too little water? Did you know that water is the only liquid that can cleanse some of your organs (i.e. not teas, coffee, juice etc)?
- Rest: Do you sleep too much or too little? Do you stay up much later than you know is healthy?
- Relationship: Do you make sure to spend quality time with your family and loved ones? Do you find yourself spending most of your time interacting with people that are relatively important/unimportant to you?
- Fun: Do you spend time doing what you enjoy? Do you do that too much or too little?
- Education: Do you spend time learning something that will make you more effective in life, or do you find yourself watching mindless programs on TV or internet?
- Money: Do you spend too much on frivolous purchases? Or are you too tight with your money, afraid to purchase something you need or want?
- Appearance: Do you take care to groom yourself and look nice? Do you spend too much or too little time working on your appearance?
- Spirituality: Do you take time to be connected to your inner source? Are you inspired?
My Review and Re-commitment
Looking at this list made me realize that I was off in a few areas. For me daily meditation practice is crucial for staying in balance, yet it has been suffering due to my staying up way too late over the course of several weeks – which makes me too tired to get up early in the morning, etc. I was out of balance.
The lesson I’m learning now is that being in balance is about discipline and commitment – two Saturnian words – hence we have Saturn’s exaltation in Libra. I’m recommitting myself to my morning & evening meditations – which tends to have a beneficial influence on all other areas of my life. I’m also recommitting on drinking enough water, etc.
If you found yourself to be out of balance in some areas after reading the list above, perhaps you could also pick an area or two to recommit yourself to being in balance. If you feel so inspired, feel free to share your intentions with me through email or comments, I’ll be happy to support you. Have fun re-balancing!