Every month, we’re adding new intentions/activities for our happiness project during the new moon. Feel free to join in and/or set your own new monthly goals!
The New Moon in Cancer occurs on July 11th
Going with the symbolism of the sign Cancer, our intentions for the month will be twofold:
1) Develop our emotional awareness
2) Make a new start to address our fears and concerns
Developing Emotional Awareness
If you tend to suppress uncomfortable emotions like fear and anger, this might be a good time to cultivate emotional awareness.
Many times, anger is just a cover-up for fear. If I’m frustrated and angry a lot on a given day, I check for what I’m scared about.
If you’re angry at a person close to you, that’s especially a good time to look at what you’re afraid of. Sometimes you’re actually angry at yourself, for your own behavior.
Usually, it comes down to a fear of loss. In a recession, the fear of financial loss is common, and tends to spill over into other areas of life such as relationships.
Money represents different things for each individual: freedom, self worth, power, control. If we know what money means to us, it may offer some clarity as to what exactly we fear losing, and change our perspective (e.g. can you cultivate a sense of freedom and self worth even during a recession? I think so.)
4 Steps for Dealing with Negative Emotions
1) The first step is to become aware of negative emotions: If you do not feel happy but are not in touch with your own emotions, you may want to try journaling to see what’s bothering you underneath the conscious awareness of your mind.
2) The second step is to accept all emotions you feel. Embrace your fear, anger, and whatever else you feel. They are a part of you, and you can’t release them until you accept them.
3) The third step is to release the negative, fearful emotions. You may want to look into different methods for releasing stuck emotions that work for you – it’s better if it involves your physical body in some way, as emotions tend to be stored in the body.
4) The fourth and final step is to take action to address the source of fearful emotions. What positive actions can you identify that will improve your situation, so that you do not have to keep feeling the negative emotions you’ve identified?
It’s Time to Make a New Start
As a Cardinal sign, Cancer rules new beginnings. If you’ve identified what’s been pressing you down emotionally, then this is an ideal time to initiate a major change. It could be as simple as a change of your daily attitude and routine. It could also entail new commitment for healing, recovery, and/or success.
Without taking a decisive action, chances are that you’d go back to being victimized by your feelings, even after you go through the exercise of emotional release.
There is a good chance that what you start now will take root and bear fruits for a long time to come – as the seed will be deeply rooted in your emotional being. Choose wisely what you decide to sow.
For me, I’ve learned that my spiritual and personal development is deeply important for my emotional health. I’m feeling a new surge of courage and enthusiasm, as I renewed my commitment in areas such as meditation and career. How about you? What new start can you make?